Monday, December 6, 2010

Literature Portfolio: A Work In Progress

Since I recently transitioned into Elementary Education, I did not have much experience reading and selecting children's literature. However, after a great (but looong) semester of a children's literature course I had the opportunity to put my life on (some what) of a hold and read 48 children's books.

While I went through my summer of reading I cried, I laughed, I gasped in surprise.

Not only did this experience give me a quick and extensive review of current children's literature, it gave me insight as to the number of quality fiction and nonfiction texts that can be found.

In addition to reading these books, I also created a literature portfolio that included my own hand-drawn covers of the book, a child-friendly summary of the book, and connections from the book to my life and experiences. I hope that one day all students will carry their own literature portfolios with all the books they have read from Kindergarten to their college years. 

The list of books that I read during my journey can be found at the bottom of this blog on my virutal bookshelf. I hope that my selections can help you choose children's books to share with your class.

No comments:

Post a Comment